Thursday, March 29, 2007

Narcissus and Warm Weather


The spring bulbs flowered all in a hurry from the warm weather we had early this week (81 degrees on Tuesday). I ran out today to take some pictures while they still look good. The guys at CapitalWeather.com think we'll have colder than average weather by the end of next week, however.


Anyhow, this is how some of my mid-season narcissus look today. It sure seems like they're early. Yes, I have a lot of pink ones. No, I don't know their names. Well not many anyway.


I've had all these for a long time, bought from many different sources. Below is a newer one whose name I do know, and I'm not sure what I think of it. It's called 'Lemon Glow'. I only bought a few because they were relatively expensive. The color is nice (more yellow than it looks here), but the flowers are huge, gargantuan, almost a caricature. Maybe I should move them to the back of the lot?


Update 7:13PM: The American Daffodil society has a database (with pictures) online - daffseek.org I think my topmost picture is 'Pink Charm'.

4 comments:

Annie in Austin said...

Lovely, Entangled. Last fall I bought a few bulbs labeled 'Pink Charm' and the flowers are sort of pink but smaller than what I expected. They're cute, and were so cheap that I don't care if they have the right name.

As soon as I saw the 'Lemon Glow' photo a Henry Mitchell daffodil quote came to mind:

One is a bicolor trumpet, white perianth with a really gross megaphone sticking out in intense neon-lemon, frilled to beat the band, like a whore on Easter. I never saw anything like it.

Well, I wouldn't kick it out of my (garden) bed!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Entangled said...

Annie, the Henry Mitchell quote is so very apt.

I think maybe Lemon Glow just needs a better set of companions.

Entangled said...

Oops, forgot to say that my Pink Charm daffodils (if that's what they are) are on the small side. The cup is cream colored at the base and shades to a coral-pink at the edge.

Ziggywigs said...

Great blog....really enjoyed reading it. I love the pics you have posted. I could just imagine all those Muscari and their scent....lovely.